Recommended Initiative 4.2
Build or strengthen meaningful community partnerships focused on learning recovery and SEL.
Deliverables & Design Considerations
Click each deliverable below to expand its key design considerations.
TIMING: SPRING 2021
Use student academic and wellness data to determine needs that can be met through out-of-school time (OST) programs and/or community partnerships
- Have we considered vital student academic and wellness data to identify the areas of greatest need?
- Is there data that we are missing? Is there a way to get that data?
- Have we surveyed students and families? Do we know which organizations they are already involved with?
timing: SCHOOL YEAR 2021-22
Create a plan to vet current and new out-of-school time programs and/or partnerships (focused on learning acceleration and SEL) to track records and capabilities and establish clear memoranda of understanding
- Have we prioritized community organizations with longstanding reputations in the area(s) we serve? Community Schools Playbook, Partnership for the Future of Learning, 2020 provides a detailed set of example policies and programs.
- How are programs academically aligned to our school’s overall instructional and SEL approach as well as overall school-wide goals?
Determine school or systems-level staffing or infrastructure to coordinate external partner support
- To what extent can our schools provide dedicated staffing to coordinate external partner support? Or serve as a liaison?
Conduct EOY stepback and use student academic and wellness data to determine OST programs and/or community partnerships to stop, continue, or explore
- What key metrics (e.g. attendance, academic growth, SEL, etc.) will help us measure the effectiveness of OST programs and/or community partnerships?
- What successes do we want to build upon, and how?
- Which identified challenges do we want to address, and how?
- How will we monitor effectiveness?
View a suggested timeline and arc of deliverables now through 2026.
View our curated list of resources and vendors to support implementation, periodically updated in real time.
See real-world illustrative examples demonstrating how others have put these recommendations into practice.
Explore the national research fact base that is foundational to every element in our School Re-Centering Guide.