Recommended Initiative 2.3a
If SEL programming is not already in place: Adopt and implement dedicated SEL that is culturally-responsive and acknowledges the social and emotional impacts of the pandemic.
(IF SEL PROGRAMMING IS PRESENT, CLICK HERE.)
Deliverables & Design Considerations
Click each deliverable below to expand its key design considerations.
TIMING: SPRING 2021
Launch SEL programming adoption process by assembling and training SEL program adoption committee
- Who are the key teachers, counselors, administrators, and other non-classroom staff needed to spearhead the selection of a dedicated SEL? Have we engaged diverse stakeholders in the program selection process?
- Who will lead the planning of this working group?
Review, select, and purchase SEL program using CASEL SEL program rubrics and adoption processes
- Can we build upon programs that are currently available from our district or system?
- How does the program selected align with our current instructional practices, curriculum, and assessment?
- What does research and our school’s community context (school and classroom climate and performance data) suggest is the right SEL program?
- Have we contemplated potential equity and inclusion issues in our SEL approach, such as those identified by National Equity Project, and taken steps to address them?
Select Group 1 early adoption schools and identify clear expectations, roles, and responsibilities for staff
- What does data (e.g. surveys, leader interest) suggest which schools and leaders are primed to participate in an early adoption?
- How will expectations, roles, and responsibilities for SEL curriculum and implementation vary for mental health staff, teachers. and leaders?
- How might we further differentiate tier 2 and tier 3 SEL supports?
Determine progress monitoring and feedback mechanism for Group 1 early adoption schools
- What feedback and data will we collect to monitor early adoption schools?
- Can we incorporate research-based non-academic assessments like those in the CASEL Assessment Guide aligned to its SEL framework, Brown University’s EdInstruments repository, and the California School Climate, Health, and Learning Surveys?
- Monitor the impact of SEL through walkthroughs and surveys like the ones offered by Panorama.
- How do we utilize structures for schoolwide walkthroughs/instructional rounds and observation & feedback to support SEL initiatives?
- How will schools report feedback on early adoption?
timing: SCHOOL YEAR 2021-22
Execute summer and ongoing training for Group 1 in the adopted SEL program, including its philosophy and underpinnings
- Who will lead training on a new SEL program?
- How will we ensure adequate time to introduce the SEL program during summer training, and ongoing follow-up during the school year?
Implement structures to create dedicated opportunities for SEL (e.g. scheduling, advisory, morning meeting)
- When during the day will we have dedicated opportunities for SEL?
- What changes need to be made to our schedule?
- If piloting new curriculum, in which grades and/or content areas? Why?
Execute quarterly progress monitoring (Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4)
- How will we monitor progress of implementation? What data will we collect?
- Who will lead on progress monitoring?
- How will data be shared with all staff?
Conduct EOY stepback and determine next steps to grow adoption based on lessons learned
- To what extent did SEL adoption impact SEL competencies?
- What does data (e.g. surveys, leader interest) suggest are major lessons learned?
- Which schools and leaders are primed to participate in the next phase of adoption?
Purchase SEL program for Group 2
- Based on our EOY stepback, what additional materials are needed to ensure successful implementation for Group 2 schools? Were any additional support resources created during Group 1 implementation?
Execute training on SEL program for new teachers at Group 1
- What aspects of SEL implementation do new teachers need to be successful?
- How will new teachers receive ongoing support following training? Who will support them?
View a suggested timeline and arc of deliverables now through 2026.
View our curated list of resources and vendors to support implementation, periodically updated in real time.
See real-world illustrative examples demonstrating how others have put these recommendations into practice.
Explore the national research fact base that is foundational to every element in our School Re-Centering Guide.